Support Cache Free TV



Wednesday, May 8, 2013

PBS and PBS KIDS channels come to the Roku Channel Store!

Since I got my first Roku player, I've wondered why PBS doesn't have their own Roku channel - and I'm not the only one who has wondered that. I've been asked by several people where to watch PBS on Roku, and the only answer I could give them is Hulu - which, as we all know, is a paid service when using a Roku. I couldn't understand it myself, since PBS has always been an early adopter of technologies that can spread their programming to a wider audience.

But now at last, PBS and PBS KIDS have their own Roku channels!




I love that PBS and PBS KIDS now have their own channels on Roku that don't require paid services. PBS content has been available on Netflix and Hulu for some time now, but these are paid services on Roku. These PBS channels are 100% FREE. Another problem some people have with using Hulu and Netflix to watch PBS and PBS KIDS is that neither of these "premium" services is exactly "Kid friendly". There's no parental controls whatsoever for either. With these channels and a few other free channels, it's now cheap and easy to set up a Roku player just for the kids. Just buy a ROKU LT for $50, put it on a separate account, add a password, and load it up with the PBS and PBSKIDS kids channels. There are some other channels suitable for for children available on Roku, and most are free, add them as well.

One thing I noticed right away on the PBS channel: I did not see Downton Abbey episodes. That may just be because the season is over, but we'll have to wait and find out. (Sorry, adults.)

Here's some useful links:
Home | PBS
Channel Store | Roku Streaming Player
BabyFirstTV | Roku Guide ($4.99/ month)
Buy a Roku player

1 comment:

Your comments are moderated to prevent spam